Sunday, January 25, 2009

A tribute to Grandma Velma




























Well for those of you that don't know my grandmother Velma past away on January 6, 2009. She was 94 years young and I couldn't have asked for a better grandma. I thought I would write a little tribute in her honor on my blog. I miss her and want to remember her.

Growing up Grandma and I spent a lot of time together. She and Gideon would play games with me for hours. We would play canasta, 7's, and King's corner. I owe all my card skills to my grandma. She often said that I should move to Vegas because I am that good!

While she visited at our house she often would rearrange my mother's pantry. She drove me to school in her big (and I really mean the biggest damn car I've ever seen big) green car. She would tell me to pull my hair out of my face. She slept in my room because we didn't have an extra bedroom. She would babysit me while my mom went out with friends. That's when we would play cards.

Gideon was always with grandma, he was basically my grandfather growing up. She would always say, "Oh Gideon." I can hear her now. They used to go to the Senior Center in Salem and dance and play cards. They went out to dinner. They loved each other very much.

When we would visit grandma she would let me play with her things. I can remember playing a lot of restaurant in her family room. I also played with the fun things in her junk drawer. I swear she saved stuff just for me to play with. She would take me peach picking in the summer. Again, we would roll around in the green car. I remember the white bunny my grandma had for Easter. It's head came off (to put candy inside). My grandma would tell me that the Easter bunny came and filled it up...years later I found the bunny in my grandma's extra room closet.

She also had a basement with a ping pong table. My cousin Gina played with me every holiday. I was always trying to find someone to play with me...I think I coaxed everyone in my family into playing at least once with me. I also remember her candy jars. She had one in every room, and it was always full of some kind of goody when we came to visit. Last Christmas (2007) she gave each of us one to have. I think that's the most special gift she ever gave me.

I will miss my grandma very much. I remember the last time we saw her. It was 4 days before she passed away. Nick and I took the kids to see her. She was so excited. She told me my hair looked pretty. She was really excited about seeing Lauren, and how big she was. Andrew was just running around and I think she was overwhelmed by how busy he was. I'm so thankful for that visit. I know my grandma is in heaven and I will see her someday. I'm so thankful for her love and all the things she taught me. I love you grandma Velma. :)

8 comments:

christyephillips said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma Lins. I'm so glad you have such wonderful memories to remember her by. Grandma's are the best!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your loss Lindsey. I just lost my very special grandfather and I know how painful it is. Even more so when they were such a major part of our lives, and our memories. Not everyone is so lucky. Will be thinking of you.

Sarah Anne said...

You have me crying. I'm so sorry about your loss. What a special tribute to remember her. You always spoke so fondly of her. You are so blessed to have such wonderful memories.

Dottie said...

What a wonderful tribute and memories, I'm sure you mean the world to her!

Amanda said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Grandma. She was such a sweet lady.

Tami said...

What wonderful memories. It's funny the things we remember about Grandmas when we are growing up. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It's very clear that she was a special woman and she means so much to you. She will always be close to your heart and your memories will outlast this painful season.

~kathy said...

A lovely tribute. Thanks for sharing the memories.

Gigi's Thimble said...

What special memories. That is great you could document so many little things about your time with her. She sounds like a wonderful grandmother.