Friday, December 19, 2008

I deserve some sort of medal

For those of you with children you will understand why I titled this post the way I did.

Today is a "snow" day (although it's not too snowy outside right now). I am home with the kids and we needed some things at the grocery. So after Lauren woke up and had her bottle I bundled the kids up and headed out to brave the arctic blast.

Of course, I was in the Acura because Nick needed to take the Suburban to work (just to be safe). I load up the kiddos, and off we head to Freddies. This part not bad at all, very normal.

When we get to Freddies Andrew wants to ride in the race car cart. Fine I say, there was a red one available; after I use paper towels to soak up all the water in the seat. So, with Andrew riding behind the wheel where oh where is Lolo going to fit? She's still in her car seat carrier (of which she is way to big!). So I throw her in the actual cart.

This leaves me with approximately 6 inches of space to put all my groceries, and I did have a list here people. I wasn't going for one thing. So, away we go. I realize right away that this cart definetly has a mind of it's own. I swear I felt like I was back in my Colt driving days with no power steering.

We manage to work our way through the store finding what we need. I found myself pulling them facing backwards quite a bit because the cart was THAT unreasonable. Now keep in mind that as I am manuevering my way through the aisles, I am almost knocking over displays and having a few close calls with the other customers. I know I had a few dirty looks thrown my way. To top it off the pants I was wearing were a little loose (they have a draw string) and they kept falling down...great.

So we finally make our way out to the car, I load everyone & everything up and the nicest thing happened. A very kind man offered to take the cart in for me. Seriously, Merry Christmas. I was so excited. I warned him it had a mind of it's own. Then I got in the car and told Andrew and Lolo about the nice man. The entire way home Andrew kept asking why he took our cart. Again, seriously. I do deserve some sort of medal.

So here's a lesson for everyone. When we see a mother of two with her pants falling down barreling down the aisle with a red race car, give her a break.
Happy Holidays!

6 comments:

Gigi's Thimble said...

Oh that's funny. You do deserve a medal. Mom's are so awesome (aren't we?:) We do that kind of maneuvering and multi-tasking all the time. And we get the job done! That man who helped you is a saint! I'm going to the store right now - I'm going to try real hard to do a good deed while I'm out - thanks to your story. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Anne said...

Oh my heavens, that is funny. Good for you for being an awesome mom and letting him use the 'fun' cart. I always say no because it's like driving a cadillac. I hope you are stocked now for the holidays seeing as the "Arctic Blast" is still falling.

Amanda said...

Oh so funny. Seriously laughing out loud right now!! I need to see those little kiddos while I'm in town.

Dottie said...

Love it! I'll buy you a glass of wine on Monday night for a medal :) Love the pic on your header too!

Tami said...

I thought that was hysterical! I know what you mean about wonderful it feel to have someone take your cart for you. The other one that I LOVE is when people hold the door for you at a store when you are pushing a stroller. I just gush with compliments when someone does that, "Thank you SO much. You are so thoughtful, you have no idea how helpful that is." Really? Probably a little over the top, but I REALLY appreciate it! And good for you for taking 2 kids to the grocery store by yourself...I haven't been that brave yet!

christyephillips said...

YAY! LOVE the car cart. They should seriously do something about the steering capability on those things. I have almost killed a few people myself whipping around the corners! Loved the story, I could relate to the pants falling down part too. I wish we lived closer then we could have outings like this with 5 kids together!
I still laughed even though you just told me this story. it was great seeing you. enjoy you x-mas!